Friday, July 18, 2008

Mission (#1) Accomplished

At the risk of sounding like our wonderful President, I hereby declare that Mission #1 has been Accomplished. I set out last August to lose 55 pounds, and much to my surprise, I've actually done it. I started out a fabulously rotund 255...



...and dropped to a much slimmer 200 as of Tuesday, July 15, 2008:



That picture was taken last night after a brutal 20-mile bike ride from home to Mesa Community College and back (I'm taking night classes in an attempt to finish my degree). I biked the 10 miles one-way only to discover that the instructor was absent due to car trouble, and the exam I was supposed to take was now a take-home test. That's all well and good, but I was expecting to get a nice 90-minute break (not to mention 90 minutes to allow the Arizona sun to set) between the two legs of my bike trip. Oh, well - I made it home in one piece. But I digress....

I lost about 20 pounds last year, just by cutting out soda, trying to limit my portions a bit, and going to the gym twice a week or so, but by November I had fallen completely off the bandwagon. I remained somewhere between 235 and 240 lbs until a friend/co-worker turned me on to The Daily Plate (thanks Ryan!). I started tracking my food intake and exercise on April 8th, aiming to lose two pounds per week, and lo and behold, the remaining 36 pounds I had to lose are officially gone 14 weeks later (2.57 pounds per week).

It turns out all I needed was a little accountability; having to enter everything I ate into a diary really changed my behavior. Yes, I still eat plenty of ice cream and donuts, but on the days I do I'll eat smaller meals or work out longer. I have also discovered the wonders of the banana and the apple, both very filling but lacking in calories. Of course, changing my eating habits was only half of the equation; I also spend a lot of time and energy at the gym, lifting weights, riding a bike, swimming, and playing basketball. It has been an incredibly positive change for me - I feel better, look better, and have had to buy an entirely new wardrobe. :)

Acknowledgments
I could never have done this without: my lovely wife (for encouraging me), my friend Ryan (for turning me on to The Daily Plate; he's down 45 pounds himself), the author of this article, Krispy Kreme and Dairy Queen (for keeping me sane), LA Fitness, Mike at Mike's Bike Chalet, the folks at Kashi (for their excellent granola bars, my breakfast every day for the last couple months), my dad (for inspiration), Jacob Moffat (likewise), and my fellow Elders (for Tuesday night basketball at the church). I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of people, places, and things - my apologies.

Onward and, well, downward
So where to go from here? Much to my surprise and dismay, I'm still rocking a nice gut, albeit a substantially smaller one than I am used to. I have set a second goal of 185 pounds, which will put my Body Mass Index in the normal range (I'm still in the overweight group). I've adjusted my weight loss goal on TDP to 1.5 pounds per week (allowing me around 1900 calories a day - 1600 was getting pretty old there for a while), so hopefully I'll hit 185 sometime in September/October. Wish me luck!

19 comments:

runningfan said...

David! Wow!!! What an inspiration! I'm amazed at all you have accomplished. Keep up the good work!

LittleG said...

Awesome job Dave! That's incredible.

The Wizzle said...

Honey, I don't need to leave a comment on your blog to tell you, but you are amazing. I love you!

reddladybug said...

Congrats, cous'!

Jacob said...

I need to get back on my program. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm bookmarking this post now for the times I feel lazy.

C.Thompson said...

David,
That is awesome!!! I'm one of Rachel's bd buddy's and your story is awesome and is an inspiration. I need to lose some baby weight from my recent pregnancy, so I've bookmarked The Daily Plate when I get serious/motivated to start working out and eating right again. Congrats on your success and good luck meeting your next goal.

angiedunn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angiedunn said...

DAVE!!! YOU ARE AMAZING! I look up to you and hope within a few months to have done the same for me. You rock!

I'm sendin' my angieinshape homies over here...so inspiring.

CONGRATS! ♥

Paul Dalton said...

You da man, Dave! Congratulations

Mark Dixon said...

Dave: Wonderful! You are and inspiration to me. And thanks for TheDailyPlate, the pedometer and food scale. They are all helping immensely in my own quest.

Emily Moffat said...

Dave! Congrats!!! This is such a huge accomplishment. You look to me like your brother Ryan! Keep going David. We are super proud of you! Jacob was so pleased to make your acknowledgments. That was very sweet of you. You rock!

granny said...

Go you! I need to dive back in after my "vacation" from the DP. You inspire me!

MamaSnapped said...

Wooooohooo!!! Congrats on the weight loss!!! That's great!!

Lori (one of Rach's friends)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's some serious willpower!

The Fletchies said...

Seriously this gives me major motivation that I can lose that extra weight I need to. Thanks for all of the tips. I am already in love with the daily plate. Congrats! You have done such a great job!

Laura (Jones)

joeyship said...

I'm PROUD of you. And you should be proud of yourself--not just for losing the weight, but for setting goals and being so dedicated and tenacious about reaching them. You look great!!!!

Aunt Jo

Holly said...

lookin good bro, lookin good.

Jacob said...

Dave you may have to lose the "big" from your "big.bald.dave" screen name. I say you make it a contest to see who could come up with the best replacement. I suggest: svelte.bald.dave.

Unknown said...

Great job, very inspirational work. We've been using our thedailyplate.com accounts now for like 3 weeks and are totally addicted to it. It's so helpful, it's not even funny. Is it worth upgrading to the Gold version?