Friday, August 17, 2007

I'm getting too old for this

It had been a while since I pulled a 20-hour work day. And I was sort of ... fine with that. Since I am a Manager of Geeks instead of a Geek (and have been for a couple years now), I am usually able to con one of my wonderful employees into working all hours of the night to give our website a new feature or perform unfortunately necessary maintenance.

But I'm shy a Geek at the moment, and therefore had to answer the call yesterday. I arrived at the office around 7:30a, and left at about 3:00a the next morning. The commute home was pleasant and free of the usual gridlock, and PartsAmerica.com now has a lovely new keyword search engine, but my personal engine is idling a bit rough this "morning" (it's noon, but I just rolled out of bed a couple hours ago).

My conclusion? I'm getting old. I used to be able to do this all the time, with very little consequence. And I'm going gray, too - that's fun. Of course, I have known that was on its way since I was a wee lad with a rather grizzly (the adjective, not the bear) thirty-something father. A few years back, I naturally launched a preemptive strike against such follicular maladies and shaved the nog. But when I have to pull an all-nighter, it's usually because I've been working like a dog for a few days. And of course, the hair (including the hoary bunch) gets to sun itself for a few days while I eschew the razor to catch a few more Zs.

So I looked in the mirror this morning, on a meager few hours of sleep, and looked and felt a bit older than I probably ever have.

We're all 18 at heart, of course, but my heart is becoming a terrible liar.

4 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Well, kids age you faster (or so I hear) so that explains a lot I think.

Besides, gray hair is distinguished, dontcha know! :)

Mark Dixon said...

You don't know nothing about old yet!

Holl Doll said...

Sorry about your all nighter. that is most unfortunate.

granny said...

Hm Hm. Let's not talk about getting old. Beings how I'm the oldest of the commenting crew, take it from me: old is good.