Friday, August 17, 2007

An ode to Willis Haviland Carrier

For those of you who don't live in the lovely Phoenix, Arizona metro area, let me assure you that it's really quite miserable this time of year. I believe we're in the midst of a 29-day run of consecutive 110+ degree days. That's just disgusting.

It's times like these I thank my lucky stars for one Willis Haviland Carrier. You see, Mr. Carrier invented modern air conditioning, and he also founded the eponymous company that is still a $5 billion/year player in the global air conditioning market.

Air conditioning may be the single greatest convenience invention of all time, at least for those of us dumb enough to live in places like Phoenix. Trouble is, I'm so used to being comfortable inside all the time, when I go somewhere like New York, Seattle, or Portland in the summer, I'm just as miserable there because it's 80 degrees and humid indoors.

Air conditioning has turned me into a weenie, but at this point I'd rather be a cool, comfortable weenie than a hot, miserable anything else.

4 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Well, I hate to see a blog with no comments on it!

You are a total AC addict, my dear. It's a beautiful thing - it makes this whole city inhabitable. I just wish we didn't need it quite so much!

angiedunn said...

Amen brotha.
Truer words were never spoken.

Sparks Fam said...

I also love the good ole AC, but when your ready to come up to our 76 deg. heaven just let us know. Seriously, call me and we'll plan it.

Robert

granny said...

I got the SRP bill today and let's just say it is time to cool off.